Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Starting My First Ecommerce Website

I am currently doing research about staring my own ecommerce website. I haven't decided on what type of products I will sell or a store name. I don't want to rush into it too fast, so I am taking notes and reading any good information on the net that I can find about this process. I need to take the following steps:

1. Find and buy a domain name.
2. Select a host for the domain name.
3. Create the entire website.
4. Create the shopping cart system (with coupon options, etc).
5. Opening a merchant account (process credit cards, etc).
6. Setting up SSL security or equivalent option.
7. Marketing (advertising) the website to attract potential customers.

Now, these first 7 steps may make the whole process of starting a site seem hard and not worth it. It does not have to be. I am weighing the option of using a Yahoo Small Business solution for all of these steps.

8. Getting the site indexed by the main search engines.
9. Converting potential customers into sales (this is a must if I must say).
10. Making a profit with the ecommerce site.

I'm not going to say anything (yet) about buying products for the site and creating images and/or descriptions for them. I am also looking for a great site that will drop-ship orders for me so that I don't have to keep inventory or do all the packing and shipping to customers.

Who knows? Maybe I will end up with a great site that makes a decent profit each month. I just want to try this out while I have the time and patience required for it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home